Friday, September 23, 2011

Labels...

I hate them. Especially, when we label people... This is why I say I'm nobody instead of describing myself. I could also say "anybody", I suppose. But because I'm fan of Emily Dickinson's, I say nobody.

I don't say I'm nobody because I think I am useless in this world or anything... I just say it because, to me, even saying whether I'm a male or female is a label. You don't think so? Then it's because you don't know any transgender. A boy in the body of a girl or vice versa... until they officially change sex, they hesitate to adopt either label. So do I have to start talking about skin colour, sexuality, religion, etc. to make my point? We can't just label people like we label things. Yet, so many people do so.


At my former work, my colleges were the kings of labelling people. And they were so insulting towards customers, once they were gone. The assumptions they made... it made me sick. So I'm not doing a straight forward presentation of myself. You'll figure out what you need to know about me soon enough.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Interesting post ... I like labels -- I guess I feel like I have earned some of the labels that I have, so I'm proud of them? That being said, I still need to come up with something that is more reflective of who I am than what I actually do say. If that makes sense. Thanks for the follow :-)

Élune said...

You're very welcome! ^_^

I'm not saying all labels are bad. I mean, "physician" is definitely good. But! My biggest problem with labels you have stated it in your own comment: they are not necessarily reflective of who a person is. Actually, they generally aren't. Because there are the labels that strangers and colleagues put on you, the ones that friends and family put on you, and the ones that you yourself put on. And with all these on, it's difficult to see the person behind, the "soul". That is if the other person ever even tries to see you, because typically, they will just be satisfied with the labels. There are even people who get lost behind all the labels and do not know who they are anymore. The good news is that they usually find themselves, eventually.

I realize that I'm a bit vague... but I don't know how else to explain and this reply is getting too long already. XD I might be "wrong" though. I'm rather young and have still a lot to learn about life. And some people would say that I just think too much... ^^;

Anyway, thank you for sharing your point of view, it is very interesting and made me think even further. ^_^